Happy Earth Day...

What's Really Good?

"The Earth Day Network was founded on the premise that all people, regardless of race, gender, income, or geography, have a moral right to a healthy, sustainable environment. Our mission is to broaden and diversify the environmental movement worldwide, and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle for promoting a healthy, sustainable environment."

Over the last few years, I've noticed that a lot of people are trying to live a "greener" lifestyle. Purchasing natural, eco-friendly and organic beauty items has become more of a way of life rather than a trend. Cosmetic companies are jumping on this bandwagon and creating these "natural" products. However, everything is not always what it seems. In a recent article in
Organic Beauty, the magazine breaks down some common label terms that will help in purchasing the real stuff.

100% PERCENT ORGANIC: The USDA says these products must contain (excluing water and salt) only organically produced ingredients. Products may display the USDA Organic Seal.

USDA ORGANIC: These products may display the USDA Organic Seal and must contain at least 95% organically produced ingredients. The remaining 5% of ingredients must be nonagricultural ingredients approved for use by the FDA.

MADE WITH ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Products contain at least 70% organic ingredients. These products may not display the USDA Organic Seal.

LESS THAN 70% ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: Products cannot use the term "organic" anywhere on the product's main label.

NATURAL: No federal regulation. Basically a product with 99% synthetic ingredients can use this term.

HYPOALLERGENIC: A company must simply avoid using a handful of common known allergens. However, companies are not required to test the product.

Wow, this was a real eye opener for me. Who would of thought the term "natural" on a product pretty much means nothing!



Post a Comment


I'm just a simple girl with a complicated obsession, I love all things beauty...and I need to talk about it!


Email me at...


Classic Beauties

Classic Beauties


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner