I was talking to a friend of mine on the phone the other day, you know who you are, while she was out shopping for makeup brushes. When I asked her why was she looking for new brushes, she told me it was time to get some new ones and also because she's NEVER washed the ones that she's had for yeaaarrrssss. WHAT! Needless to say, she got an earful of why she should clean her brushes, I mean really. Frequent washing of your makeup brushes keeps them - and your face - clean and healthy...
There are tons of makeup brush cleansers out there to choose from. I myself use Clinique's makeup brush cleanser, but honestly, good old dishwashing liquid or mild shampoo will do the trick.
The process is very simple:
1. Run the bristles under warm running water.
2. Apply a small amount of cleanser to bristles and rub it in. As you're doing this, you will notice the makeup coming out. (Now imagine all that stuff being buffed into your skin every day.)
3. Rinse the bristles under running water. Do this until the water runs clear.
4. Lay your brushes flat on a towel to air dry. DO NOT have your brushes standing upright to dry. Doing so allows the water to run down into the handle of the brush, which can loosen the glue and cause the bristles to fall out.
5. Once brushes are dry, reshape the bristles.
Try to clean them weekly if you can. Doing so will keep them in tip top shape and save you money.